Suspects arrested and charged in a brutal downtown Charleston be - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Suspects arrested and charged in a brutal downtown Charleston beating

Posted: Updated:

Brandon Douglass and Dana LaFond  were arrested and charged in the beating of Brandon Coltey Wednesday, March 6. 

Charleston Police say Coltey was kicked, stomped and robbed Monday night at the Transit Mall in downtown Charleston.

Investigators said more than a dozen people were there that night, but instead of calling for help, many people took pictures or recorded videos on their phones.

Officers said at least one of the attackers hit Coltey in the head with a brick, while another went through his pockets.

13NEWS spoke with both suspects just after their arrests.

Brandon Dougless said, "I just want to apologize for my actions and hope everything goes well for Brandon in the hospital."

A tip led Charleston police to Douglass as he was walking down Shrewsberry Street in Charleston around 11 a.m. Wednesday.  

"I don't know, I was just trying to go to the beach," said Dana LaFond, of Charleston.  LaFond was arrested less than an hour later.  Police said he was waiting in the security line at Yeager Airport.  He had just purchased a one way ticket to Myrtle Beach. 

Police say they the two men are the only suspects in the case. 

Douglass said, "Why did I do it?  Why did I kick him?  Because he hit me first.  He hit me three times, and as far as everything else, that I don't know about.  It wasn't a smart move."

By "everything else", Douglass was referring to the victim, Brandon Coltey's condition.  Police told 13NEWS he is listed as critical right now.

Douglass said, "I truly am sorry.  I had nothing to do with that part."

Charleston Police disagree.  They said Coltey and the suspects knew each other. 

It all started with an altercation just off camera in the surveillance video released by Charleston Police.  Words were said, and that is what led to the brutal beating. 

In the mean time, Coltey's family and friends are hoping for a speedy recovery.

Both men are charged with malicious wounding. 

LaFond is also facing first degree robbery charges.

Douglass's bond is set at $100,000.  LaFond's bond is set at $150,000.  

Stay with 13NEWS for the latest on this developing story.  

Powered by Frankly