Guilty plea - Home invasion - Pinch, WV - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Man pleads guilty to home invasion robbery involving elderly woman

Posted: Updated:


Family members struggled to listen to graphic testimony in the brutal beating of a 74-year-old woman.

At a hearing in Kanawha County Circuit Court on Monday, Casey Givens described the night of Feb. 28.  Authorities said Givens and Aaron Chapman broke into the home of 74-year-old Ramona Jones.

According to police, the men viciously attacked her and nearly killed her.

"She laid there for probably 12 hours before she was found the next day by her daughter," said assistant prosecutor Daniel Holstein.

The men admitted to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol the night they beat Jones.

"We got some liquor and started drinking around 7 or 8. We didn't stop drinking until 10:30 p.m.," Givens said.

Givens pleaded guilty to malicious wounding and first degree robbery. Chapman pleaded guilty to the same charges in July.

In exchange for their guilty pleas, prosecutors agreed to drop the charges related to the beating of Raymond 'Frank' Mace.

Authorities said Givens and Chapman attacked Mace the same night they attacked Jones.  Mace has visible scars on his face from the attack.

As for Jones, she is permanently scarred from the beating.  She has to be fed through a feeding tube.

"She suffered from broken ribs on both the left and the right side. She had collapsed lungs, both left and right. She had a broken clavicle. She had bruises to all of her extremities, her head, her face, her neck, her shoulders, her back."

Givens was ordered back to jail until he is sentenced in November.

A sentencing date hasn't been set for Chapman.

Both men are facing at least 12 years in prison for the crimes.

Prosecutors said the men also stole a flat screen TV, the victim's jewelry, and her hearing aids during the home invasion.



A man charged with breaking into a woman's home and beating her during a robbery pleaded guilty today in court as part of an agreement.

Casey Givens pleaded guilty to a robbery charge as part of a plea deal to drop charges related to the beating on Monday morning.



A second suspect in two home invasions in Pinch turned himself in around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Casey Givens, 21, was charged with first degree robbery, attempted first degree robbery and two counts of nighttime burglary.

Givens turned himself in at the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office headquarters.  He was arraigned and bond was set at $25,000 cash.  Givens was taken to the South Central Regional Jail in lieu of bond.



According to the criminal complaint, 20-year-old Aaron Chapman, who was already behind bars on other robbery charges, is now facing charges in connection with two home invasions in Pinch.

The complaint states that in the afternoon of February 28, Kanawha County deputies responded to a home on Church Road in Pinch, after receiving a 911 call.

A 74-year-old woman was found in the home, and was taken to a local hospital for treatment.  The woman is still in the hospital, recovering from several rib fractures, a fractured clavicle, fractured vertebrae, a facial fracture, two punctured lungs, and a subdural hematoma. 

Deputies stated in the complaint that there was evidence of a robbery.  The home had bloodstain patterns, broken furniture, and open jewelry boxes throughout.  

A stove in the kitchen was turned over and the knobs were placed in the on position.  However, when it was overturned, the stove's plug came out of the wall.  Deputies said the stove was functioning when plugged back into a power source.

A search of the victim's home revealed a black metal crowbar in the living room.  One cloth glove was also spotted by deputies, close to the crowbar.

The complaint goes on to state that while at the residence on Church Road, the deputies on scene learned of another home invasion on Mace Street, at the home of Frank Mace.    His home is located in close proximity to the home on Church Road.

Mace called 911 at 12:41 that same morning for similar crimes.

Mace stated that two men knocked on his door and when he attempted to answer it, they tried to force themselves inside.  Mace then attempted to shut the door, and received a laceration on his head as a result.

Mace said the men were wearing face coverings and had a crowbar. 

The men then left, a broke a window in Mace's home and damaged his vehicle.  Mace's injury required suturing and medical treatment. 

Furthermore, the complain states that a bloodhound was brought to the scene for tracking.  The bloodhound was given the scent of the glove found at the scene.  The dog lead police directly to Mace's home, and then to Aaron Chapman's home, and then to the residence of Seth Gregg.

Both Gregg and Chapman live in very close proximity to Mace, on Mace Street.

Gregg, according to the complain, provided a statement to deputies.  

Gregg said he was there when Chapman and another man were drinking and using marijuana the evening of February 27.  

Gregg stated the two were talking about breaking into homes in the area, and specifically talked about breaking into Mace's home.  Gregg described the crowbar used in the incidents, that it was black, and about two feet long.

Gregg said Chapman and the other man were wearing dark clothing and covered their faces.  Gregg could see that Mace had returned home from his home, told Chapman and other man, but the complaint states that they just looked at him.

Gregg added that he had a conversation with Chapman and asked if he was the one who beat the elderly woman.  Gregg said that Chapman said it was the other man who caused the injuries. 

Chapman is being charged with attempted first degree robbery, first degree robbery, and two counts of nighttime burglary.  

He is being held at SouthCentral Regional Jail on a $75,000 cash-only bond.

Powered by Frankly