A man is being called a hero after he tried to save his neighbor from a burning house.
David Kelley said he heard a neighbor screaming early Tuesday morning.
When he walked outside, he saw flames shooting out of an Ashwood Road home.
"I just heard a neighbor screaming and it sent out an alarm," he said.
Nancy Lovell also heard the screams.
"I heard some very strange noises and I felt that somebody was in trouble," she said.
Kelley said he ran towards the house to try and save his neighbor, who he figured was home.
"I just immediately ran over and just started knocking out the windows and hollering for him," he said.
The victim made it out with just a few burns to his forehead, but his 14-year-old dog Precious did not.
Charleston firefighters arrived on the scene shortly after the fire started. They said it took less than 10 minutes to put the fire out, however, the damage had already been done.
Neighbors said the man might not have made it if it weren't for Kelley and other people who tried to get him out.
Kelley said the people on this street look out for one another.
He said he would have done the same thing for any of his neighbors.
"It was pure adrenaline just to get him out. I knew he was home and it was just instinct to help," he said.
Authorities believe a grease fire is to blame.
The house is a total loss.
Family members tell 13 News this house has been in their family for decades.