NEW: Man dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound after standoff i - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

NEW: Man dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound after standoff in Boyd County, KY

Posted: Updated:


The Boyd County Sheriff's Department has confirmed that Stanley David Maynard died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound during a standoff with authorities on Thursday afternoon.

The incident began when Maynard called 911, according to deputies, and said that he had shot his brother. Deputies did not release the brother's name.

That brother entered the mobile home on Shopes Creek Road shortly after Maynard made the call, according to deputies, before they arrived at the scene.

A second brother also arrived at the home and went inside before authorities arrived. When State Police and Boyd County deputies got to the scene, they met with the brothers who said they didn't know anything about the phone call that Maynard had made.

That's when deputies said they heard two gunshots come from inside the mobile home.

Deputies said that the first brother left the scene at that point. The second brother went back inside the mobile home to try and talk with Maynard.

Deputies and State Police backed away from the home and set up a perimeter. The Ashland Special Response Team was called in. They closed the road at that time.

Hours later, authorities heard a single gunshot from inside the mobile home. When teams entered the home they said they found Maynard dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The second brother exited the home unharmed.

No other shots were fired. The Boyd County coroner was called in. An investigation continues.





Some of the police have left the scene of a standoff in Boyd County, Kentucky. Authorities entered the house and then gave the all-clear, according to crews at the scene. Ambulances arrived a short time later.

There is no word yet the condition of the man inside the home, or what may have led to ambulances being called to the scene.

Keep checking for updates to this developing story.


State Police, Boyd County Sheriff's deputies, and the Ashland Swat Team are at Shopes Creek Road in Summit at the scene of a standoff.

Boyd County, Kentucky dispatchers said that a man called and threatened to kill someone at 2:40 p.m. on Thursday.

Our crew on the scene says the man is inside a brown mobile home.  There is no word yet if the man has weapons or if anyone else is in the house.

Shopes Creek Road is currently blocked by police on the scene.  

13News has crews headed to the scene. Keep checking for updates to this developing story.

Powered by Frankly