UPDATE: Man accused of attempted murder sentenced - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

UPDATE: Man accused of attempted murder sentenced

Posted: Updated:


Antonio Collins was sentenced Thursday, Dec. 12.

He faces up to 13 to 50 years behind bars.



A man accused of attempted murder and malicious wounding pleaded guilty in court today.

Antonio Collins faces 13 to 50 years in prison, according to the Kanawha County prosecuting attorney.



Before Antonio Collins faced a judge in Kanawha County Magistrate Court for his arraignment, he apologized.

"I want to apologize to PJ, I don't know his real name, PJ's family, and Josh's family, and my family," Collins said.

Collins, 33, of Charleston, is accused of shooting Patrick Moore, Jr., and Joshua Lawson, at the 7-11 convenience store at 841 W. Washington St. on April 20. He is charged with two counts of attempted murder.

According to the criminal complaint, Collins walked into the 7-11 and put a gun against Lawson's face after the two had a "verbal confrontation." Surveillance video shows Moore, Jr., tried to stand between the two men right before Collins shot Lawson in the face.  Collins then pursued Moore, Jr., through the store and shot him in the shoulder.  A witness told police that Collins walked out of the store and smiled at her.

Police said Collins fled to Columbus after the shooting, but officers arrested him just hours later.

Collins was extradited to Charleston for his arraignment on Tuesday.

"What happened at 7-11 was very out of the ordinary and shocking to the conscience, shocking to the conscience of the community," said Lt. Steve Cooper, with the Charleston Police Department. "We are very relieved to have him in custody. We consider him to be a very dangerous person."

Lt. Cooper said the department knows Collins well. He said Collins served time in federal prison and was even convicted for shooting a man in the 1990s.

Kanawha County Prosecutor Mark Plants said the shooting showed an "absolute disregard for human life."

Plants could not say whether Collins owned the firearm he used in the shooting, or even obtained the gun legally.

An employee who worked that day said watching the surveillance video sent chills through her body.

"It was cruel, it was mean, and it shouldn't happen," the employee said. "You just don't shoot someone in the face."

The employee said she fears for her own safety, especially at night. She said she wishes a security guard could stay inside the store, or that workers could serve customers through a window after certain hours.

Collins' preliminary hearing will take place on May 5. He was taken to South Central Regional Jail.

A spokesperson for CAMC General Hospital said both Lawson and Moore, Jr., have been discharged.



The man accused of shooting two men inside a convenience store on Charleston's west side has been extradited back to West Virginia.

Antonio Collins was arraigned in Kanawha County magistrate court Tuesday afternoon.

He was arrested in Columbus last week on two counts of attempted murder. Police said he shot Joshua Lawson and Patrick Moore at the 7-11 on Washington Street West on April 20.

Lawson and Moore are both recovering and have been released from the hospital.

Powered by Frankly