Residents want help getting motorists to slow down - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Residents want help getting motorists to slow down

Posted: Updated:

Emory Skiles lives along Baker's Fork Road just outside of Charleston. He walks daily to try to maintain his health. But he said there is one problem, that is scary at times. Skiles said sometimes he has to jump out of the road because motorist drive so fast. The posted speed limit in the area is 30 mph.

"You think it is the Indianapolis 500 sometimes, but we haven't got to get tickets to watch it with," Skiles said.

He said the problems have been reported, but as soon as the law enforcement vehicles leave, people go right back to speeding.

Kim Ostrander said she sees cars fly by her house on Wiltshire Boulevard in Huntington.

"The people who are speeding generally aren't the ones living here they are the ones using it as a cut through. The speed limit says 25 but if you stand here long enough you will see 60 mph for sure," Ostrander said.

13 News contacted several law enforcement agencies to see what they are doing to help prevent these types of problems.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Office recently assigned a deputy just to handle these types of complaints. The deputy goes to problem areas in the county based on calls received from residents. The Kanawha County Sheriff's Office also has a tab on their website to report speeding. Deputies said tips are most effective if you can include the time of day that most of the speeding occurs and the type of vehicle you usually notice speeding. In Kanawha County you can report problems to the Sheriff's Office by calling 304-357-0169.

The Charleston Police Department also has a location on their website where people can report speeding within the city.

The West Virginia State Police will also focus on problem areas if residents report problems, according to Sgt. Michael Simpson. He said the information will be given to people working that shift so that they can drive by when there is enough manpower available. Sgt. Simpson also said that the patrols sometimes only resolve the problem temporarily.  He said motorist will often go back to speeding after the trooper's vehicle is out of sight. He said it is best to call your local detachment to report speeding and areas that could use more attention.

The West Virginia Department of Transportation can also help with efforts to slow motorist down in your neighborhood. If you live along a state maintained road you can call 1-800-642-9292 if you think the speed limit should be lowered. It is called the Citizen's Request for Assistance Program. Officials said a call to that number could prompt a traffic study to see if the speed limits can be reduced. Enforcement would depend on the law enforcement officers in the area.

Powered by Frankly