Dusty Kincaid's Story of Strength & Survival: Part 1


Dusty Kincaid was a high school senior with a promising baseball career in the spring of 2012.

But his senior season was shattered in an instant.

It's been little more than a year since an accident changed Dusty's life and family forever.

Growing up in Scott Depot, a then 5-year-old Dusty Kincaid, grabbed a baseball for the first time and soon started to play with his older brother Tyler.

"They just loved it," Dusty's mother Shari said.  "If they wasn't here at the fields they were playing at home in the back yard."

"I played baseball, basketball, football...I've tried other things, but baseball was just the one thing that stuck with me and something I couldn't give up," Dusty added.

Dusty developed into a dominant pitcher in little league and through high school. He posted a 3-2 record in 38 Innings and recorded 46 strikeouts as a junior.

"We had Bluefield, [West Virginia] State, West Virginia Tech...they offered him a pretty good scholarship," Shari said.

Dusty had a promising senior season and college career ahead of him, but his future playing days and every day life came to a screeching halt thanks to one pitch he threw at this very field last March.

"It was a 2-1 count. To be honest with you I don't know how the kid hit it," Dusty said.

"I can't get passed the sound of the ball when it hit him," Shari added.

"He went out and got it and drove it right back at me," Dusty said as he remembered that day his life changed forever.

"He immediately dropped to the ground," Shari said. "I don't want to start crying....It's just a sound I'll never get out of my mind."

The baseball hit Dusty on the right side if his head  just centimeters away from his temple. Initially, he was conscious, but it was on the drive to the hospital that changed from bad to worse.

"Everything really started to hit me," Dusty said. "I felt a lot of pressure on my head. I started to get nauseous and sick."

Dusty was rushed to the Emergency Room and there, doctors took multiple CAT Scans.

"It came back showed us a small cracked fracture," Shari said.  "It had pushed his brain over about five millimeters."

Doctors tried to keep Dusty's brain from swelling, but that didn't work. He slipped into a coma. Doctors then pushed Dusty in surgery two days after the accident. They performed a craniotomy. It's a procedure in which they temporarily remove part of the skull to reduce the pressure and swelling of the brain.

"12 more minutes we wouldn't have Dusty... he tried to die on the table," Shari said as she held back the tears.

Dusty endured a few hours of the surgery.

But it's what happened in the coming weeks after his procedure that's made his story special.

For Part Two of this series click here.



© Copyright 2000 - 2017 WorldNow and WOWK