Dusty Kincaid's Story of Strength & Survival: Part 2 - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Dusty Kincaid's Story of Strength & Survival: Part 2

Posted: Updated:

On Wednesday, 13 Sports Director John Sabol brought us Part 1 of the story of former Winfield High pitcher Dusty Kincaid.

Dusty suffered a horrific accident last March.

He was struck in the side of the head with a line drive while pitching.

We left off Monday night with Dusty in the midst of undergoing a risky brain surgery, with his life on the line.

Two days after the incident, Dusty's brain began to swell and doctors performed a craniotomy. It's a procedure in which a bone flap is temporarily removed from the skull to  reduce the swelling. Fortunately, for Dusty he came out of the two-hour surgery alive but unconscious.

"I never had the thought that my son was going to die," Dusty's mother Shari said.  "I just didn't. I Guess all moms will never immediately go there, but I did. My heart broke."

Doctors warned Dusty's parents he wouldn't be the same person after the surgery. There was a chance he may loose mobility in his arms and legs and he may not walk again. There was also a chance Dusty would have seizures for life, speech problems and memory loss. Miraculously, just hours after the surgery Dusty woke up.

"He immediately sits up and the nurses are trying to talk to him and he's angry...And my favorite sentence for the rest of my life is: 'I have to pee!' He was so serious. I have to pee. So his dad and I started balling," Shari added.

"I woke up two days later," Dusty said. I don't think it hit me yet. It was one of those things where it was like all right, can I go play now?'

Then came the news doctors said there was no way he would ever play baseball again.

"I just ignored it," Dusty said.  "I knew that I was going to do everything opposite of what could have happened."

Five days after getting hit, Dusty could walk, talk and was released from the hospital. He missed a month of school.  Baseball was still on his mind, but he wasn't medically cleared for another seven months.

That's when West Virginia State Head Coach Cal Bailey came calling.

"I called...and he said he wanted to play and I said shoot...I'll give you a chance and he's been a welcome addition," Cal said.

Then less 11 months after the accident on February 24 , 2013 in a game vs. Notre Dame College Dusty made his improbable return to the game he loves.

"To this day and the rest of my life, I'll remember him [Cal] tell me to get ready," Dusty said. "I just got so nervous."

"You want to be supportive of him but I was scared to death," Shari added.

"I was shaking up there," Dusty said jokingly. "Cal said I was white as a ghost. That was the most nervous I've ever been in my life."

Where did that first pitch go?

"It hit the backstop," Dusty said laughing.  "I let one go. I flew one up and it went over the top of the batter."

With State leading 2-1 in the top of the 7th, Dusty settled down, retired three batters in order and earned the save.

"It was just a bunch of emotions going through my head," Dusty said. Cal Bailey jumped off the bench, the whole team hugging me and giving me high fives. They were more excited for me than I was for myself."

"He threw the heck out of the ball," Cal added. "He did a really good job against them."

After all Dusty's been through would he change anything about what happened?

"Not one. I'm glad people can look at the game different now in a better aspects," Dusty added. "But yeah, I'm glad it happened to me because it brought other people closer to their families and don't take things for granted. "

Looking back on the last 12 months, Dusty says his support from his family, community and faith his is the reason why he's alive today.

"When that happened they were there 24-7," Dusty said.  "I couldn't thank them enough. I couldn't thank the community enough. Just being there for me has helped me out and lifted me up and that's why I'm here today."

Surprisingly, Dusty hasn't suffered any lingering side effects from the accident.

The scar on the side of his head from his surgery has completely healed.

Dusty still goes back that ball field with his brothers to throw around, but it's not the same.

As a freshman at West Virginia State, Dusty played in seven games for the Yellow Jackets this season.

He gave up one earned run in three innings pitched in limited appearances out of the bullpen.

For Part One click here.

Powered by Frankly