Scented plug-ins cause early morning fire in Charleston, WV, - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Scented plug-ins cause early morning fire in Charleston, WV, firefighters believe

Posted: Updated:


A common household item is believed to have started an early morning fire in Charleston, WV.

It happened at a home on Arlington Avenue around 1:45 a.m.

Fire investigator Wes Smith said the backside of the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

Two people were able to escape without injuries. The family's dog didn't make it.

After poking around inside the house, firefighters discovered a melted plug-in against the wall where the fire started. The scented plug-in was blocked by a trash bag.

Smith said these plug-ins can be hazardous when blocked by other items.

"These plug-ins work by producing heat, heating up an oil, and then that creates an aroma that you smell, the air freshener," he said.

Since the air could not circulate, the bag caught on fire, Smith believes.

"It's kind of like a space heater, when you put something up against it, that air can't circulate and it overheats."

There were smoke detectors in the home that went off and woke the family up.

Firefighters also found a small meth lab upstairs. The city came and condemned the home around 9:30 a.m.

Investigators said the meth lab had nothing to do with the fire, but could explain the plug-ins in the home.



Two people are facing charges after members of the Metropolitan Drug Enforcement Network Team (MDENT) found a small meth lab inside the home.

One person has already been arrested for obstructing.

Stay with 13 News and for the latest on this developing story.


Two people are lucky to be alive after an early morning fire in Kanawha County.

It happened at 31 Arlington Avenue in Charleston around 1:45 a.m.

Firefighters said a man and woman were sleeping inside the home when flames bloke out on the back of the house.

Firefighters believe scented plug-ins are to blame.  They believe the scented oil warmers were placed too close to a trash bag and caught fire. Firefighters tell 13 News they have heard of similar incidents that have happened in other states.  The oil warmers can become hazardous when they are covered by something else, like a piece of furniture, they said.

Both residents were able to escape the home without injury.  Firefighters were unable to save the family's dog.

Powered by Frankly