Across the region, many fire departments are celebrating National Fire Prevention Week. That's the case at the Malden Volunteer Fire Department in Kanawha County. On Thursday firefighters went to Malden Elementary School to teach students about fire safety.
Students had the opportunity to dress up in firefighter gear and learn to spray water from a fire hose. Firefighters said the program has been running for more than a decade and is very successful. "It's really paid off for us because we teach them not to set the woods on fire, to not play with gasoline, to stop drop and roll and to crawl underneath the smoke," said Charlie Quigley, a volunteer firefighter.
Firefighters say in case of a house fire, it is important for families to have an exit plan and practice it regularly. It's also a good idea to decide in advance on a safe meeting place outside the home.
The theme of this year's prevention week is "prevent kitchen fires". Fire departments are spreading the word that more fires start in the kitchen than in any other part of the home. Firefighters are also teaching people how to keep cooking fires from starting in the first place.