UPDATE: Chemical That Sparked Weekend Hazmat Situation in Follansbee Was Used as "Booby Trap"
Authorities have released the name of the chemical found in a bag that caused a hazardous material situation in Follansbee over the weekend.
Brooke County EMA Director Bob Fowler says the material is called Chloropicrin. It's a material that was used inside of safes in the 1930's as a "booby trap" that would explode if someone was trying to break into the safe. Fowler said although this material is very hazardous if inhaled or comes in contact with the skin, none of the neighbors on Rose Street were injured.
However, they are taking the necessary precautions to prevent anyone from being exposed. The residence on Rose street is quarantined while the fire department and the DEP make sure there are no other hazardous materials inside. Fowler said they've been in contact with the last occupant of the house and after speaking with them, he said they feel the need to search the house again to make sure there are no more hazardous items inside.
One man suffered burns and was treated and released after opening a bag with the Chloropicrin inside. As of Tuesday, the material is on its way to Charleston in a hazmat container.
350 Quarrier Street
Charleston, WV 25301
Main (304) 343-1313
Fax (304) 343-6138