Unattended candle burns down Shrewsbury mobile home - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Unattended candle burns down Shrewsbury mobile home

Posted: Updated:
MGN Online MGN Online
SHREWSBURY, WV - A Shrewsbury man lost his home Thursday morning after a fire tore through his trailer. Jerry Johnson says he was asleep when the fire started.

“There are a lot of things in there that will never be replaceable,” he said.

The Cedar Grove Fire Department responded shortly before 4 a.m. to the scene along Hilmer Court. Johnson and his girlfriend Patty Selbe say they moved their trailers in two days ago after being evicted from their old mobile home park by their landlord.

“They gave us three months to move out, but I moved out before then and I helped him get out,” Selbe said. “And this is what happens.”

Johnson says he accidentally left a candle burning in the kitchen before going to bed. Fire officials say it is that candle that most likely caused the blaze.

“The last thing I remember is just waking up and getting out of [the trailer],” Johnson said.

Johnson has lived in the trailer for two and a half years, but most of the belongings inside have been with him his entire life. He says the items his parents left him will be what he’ll miss the most.

“I hate to even think about the stuff I lost from my mom and dad. I didn't have much but it was memories,” he said.

The house was ruled as a complete loss. No other homes in the area were damaged.

Powered by Frankly