Family and kitten safe following Rand house fire - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Family and kitten safe following Rand house fire

Posted: Updated:
Kitten saved by firefighters Kitten saved by firefighters
Edgar the kitten is alive after a house fire because of the firefighters who saved him.  The mother of one of the tenant's in the Apartment building along Marshall Avenue in Rand said, "I'm grateful that nobody was in there, but I hate it for the cat."

Another cat in the building died of smoke inhalation.  That mother, Eva Cline, said "I cried for that yellow cat.  I held it, prayed to the Lord that it would live."

Firefighter Matthew Lorrison with the Malden Fire Department carried the kitten out of the home.  The fire started in the downstairs apartment, in a chair, according to firefighters.  Firefighters said the apartments are salvageable.  Luckily, no one was home at the time the fire started, around 7 p.m. 

Crews they train to save animals as well as people inside burning buildings.  After all, they're members of the family too.

Chief Bill White with the Rand Volunteer Fire Department said, "They've got one of their family members now that they can live with, hopefully for a lot more years.  My son's an animal lover, I'm an animal lover.  You hate to lose anything that's living, whether it's an animal or human.  That's just the nature of the business."

A family is safe and a kitten is safe too, all thanks to a quick response by a team of experienced firefighters.

Powered by Frankly