Tuesday, there had been a power outage at Chandler Academy, and that caused a small electric heater to overheat. Smoke got in the school. Mark said, "All the sudden, the fire alarm went off, I was pretty spooked about it.
His dad said he got a call around 1:45 p.m. from Mark's mother that he had to go pick up his son from Elkview Middle School. Sometimes, his parents said, the buses would switch out at Elkview and then that different bus would bring him the rest of the way home to Clendenin.
The issue, they said, is that the bus stopped there.
This is when, they said, the problems began. They said Mark, along with other special needs students who attend Chandler Academy, were told to stay put inside the bus for more than an hour.
Mark's father said, "They could have notified the parents a little bit earlier, or they could have had another bus to transport them all the way to their residences instead of leaving them for a lengthy time on the bus." They only have one car, so Mark's dad left work two hours earlier to pick his son up, something that this family said they can't afford to do.
We called the Kanawha County School Board, who directed us to the Maintenance Department. The Maintenance Department directed us to the Elkview school bus garage. Our multiple to the bus garage haven't been returned yet, but the Jaspers said they hope this never happens again.
We want to know how you feel. Have you had any experiences with bus mix ups? If so, head over to our Facebook page, just search for WOWK in your search bar. Tell us about your experience.