Ohio among states seeing outbreak of human infections caused by - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Ohio among states seeing outbreak of human infections caused by puppies

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Franklin County Public Health says there are 18 cases of human Campylobacter infections in Ohio; linked to puppies sold at Petland stores.

According to the CDC there are 39 total cases of human Campylobacter throughout seven states (Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Wisconsin), with nine people needing hospitalization for treatment.

The CDC says 12 of the people infected are Petland employees, and the other 27 are people who recently purchased a puppy at Petland, visited a Petland, or visited or live in a home with a puppy sold through Petland before illness began.

Campylobacter can spread through contact with dog poop, and it usually does not spread from one person to another.

Symptoms can last about a week and include:

  • Diarrhea (that is often bloody)
  • Fever
  • Stomach cramps
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting

Franklin County Public Health advises people to wash their hands with running water and soap for at least 20 seconds when touching puppies, their food, or clean up after them.

For more on the outbreak visit CDC.gov.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Hunter accidentally shoots 11-year-old son in face

    Hunter accidentally shoots 11-year-old son in face

    Monday, November 20 2017 2:25 PM EST2017-11-20 19:25:50 GMT

    Authorities say a man accidentally shot his 11-year-old son in the face while they were hunting.

    Authorities say a man accidentally shot his 11-year-old son in the face while they were hunting.

  • 10-year-old dies in tragic accident on park swing set

    10-year-old dies in tragic accident on park swing set

    Monday, November 20 2017 9:13 AM EST2017-11-20 14:13:07 GMT

    A 10-year-old boy is dead after a tragic accident on a swing set authorities said.

    A 10-year-old boy is dead after a tragic accident on a swing set authorities said.

  • 4 people dead after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

    4 people dead after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

    Monday, November 20 2017 3:48 PM EST2017-11-20 20:48:10 GMT

    A young child, a teenager, and two adults died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a home in West Virginia.

    A young child, a teenager, and two adults died from carbon monoxide poisoning inside a home in West Virginia.

Powered by Frankly